6 little feet

6 little feet

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Watching Surfing at Pipeline


The three youngest and I joined Chris and Taisha on Friday, Dec 9 to watch the Pipe Masters surfing competition at Pipeline Beach.  This was the last of the Triple Crown of Surfing competitions.  I watched a couple hours of the first competition at Haleiwa with the Tripp's but did not have my fill.

John John Florence is the guy in the yellow
I must say, Pipeline was  impressive!  The waves were huge!  We watched Day 2 - pretty much most of Round 4.  The waves were 12-15 ft high.  It was also pretty crowded on the beach.  But I lucked out and got the best parking spot in the world.  It made my experience so much better.  I know.  Lame.  But there is hardly any parking at Pipeline and people were parked up and down the street for a couple miles.  I got a spot in the parking lot and didn't have to lug three kids far at all.  Made my day!  Here are some highlights of Day 2.  And the worst wipeouts.  We got to see some big name surfers.  And watched John John Florence (he's from Hawaii) score a perfect 10.  He eventually won the Triple Crown.  Kieren Perrow won the Pipe Masters.  I don't remember seeing Perrow, but I remember being pretty amazed by John John, Kelly Slater, Joel Parkinson, Kalani Chapman, and Jamie O'Brian. Cool!
All my pics with surfers in them are blurry.  Too bad because its hard to tell how big these waves are without people in them.
I guess you'll have to watch the video.

We sat on a little hill and these two liked to "surf" down it.
Whatever keeps them entertained.

E for Elise

Lookin' for snacks

What a day!
Can't wait 'til next year...

1 comment:

Liz said...

Definitely more impressive than Haleiwa. I'm still content I got to see that. Always fun to see the pictures and get an update. Thanks Kimi.