The primary program was held October 16. All the children in the church sing the songs they've learned throughout the year and usually have speaking parts. Lucy had two speaking parts and did a great job - memorized, enough volume and nice and slow. I think we have her kindergarten teacher to credit for that. Mrs. Gunderman always did a great job of helping the kids learn how to speak in front of people. Lucy said, "We have learned that Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of us." and "The fourth article of faith states, 'we believe that the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.'"
About a week before, the music director decided we ought to have the nursery kids sing a song ("Jesus said love everyone") and say something. Ummmm... okay. So, the nursery leader marches the kids in for the practice. Elise walks right up to the microphone, pulls in down to a proper height and says (nice and loud), "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH" which of course gets giggles from the kids and Elise bursts out laughing. Austin's turn. His teacher whispers what to say and he whispers it right back to the microphone. Shocking because, for the life of me, I cannot get that kid to whisper in church.
But the next week, both of them did a great job. Elise said, "Jesus showed us how to love others." and Austin said, "I love my mommy and daddy." All the primary kids did really well and as a presidency, we were honestly amazed because the practice the week before was so crazy. They always seem to pull it off. The kids looked so cute all dressed up so after church I wanted to get a picture. This is what I got:
After the program, the primary kids traditionally have a little treat and movie during primary time as a reward for doing so well. Our primary president told me she bought a "few things." Members from the congregation brought in treats to reward them too. This was part of the menu: spam and egg sandwiches (a favorite here), pb&j sandwiches, three kinds of chips, grapes, pretzels, a few different kinds cookies, gummy candies, etc. etc. You get the idea. Even after a year and a half, I'm still surprised what a "few things" means. Hawaiians know how to party! :) It also meant I didn't have to cook Sunday dinner.
2 comments:
Melissa and I both serve in Primary and have for 2.5 years and we are ready to pull our hair out during the practices before the final program. Then that Sunday when it's the real deal, somehow it all comes together and is amazing. The Lord definitely steps in and takes over. We did donuts and a movie but I would be all over the PB&J and chips! Lucky!
Great job Tripp kids! I hope one day you live close enough for us to attend.:)
Post a Comment